Louis de Jager used his best finish of the season on the DP World Tour as his share of fourth in the Andalucia Masters at the weekend helped him jump 58 places on the latest list issued by the Official World Golf Ranking.
On his way to 261st position on the rankings, he leapfrogged Casey Jarvis, Jaco Ahlers and Oliver Bekker to become South Africa’s 10th-best player according to the list.
While he is some way off his career-high of 190th, which he achieved after his share of 20th in the 2019 Maybank Championship, co-sanctioned by the Asian Tour and the DP World Tour, he has got his ranking trending in the right direction as he fights for one more week for a chance to tee it up in the Nedbank Golf Challenge.
Outside South Africa’s top 20 players, Pieter Moolman went up 50 places to 469th for his win in the Sunshine Tour’s Vodacom Origins of Golf event at the Wild Coast Sun. His second win on the premier local circuit means he is starting to get close to the top 20 South Africans where Jacques Kruyswijk is ranked 402nd in 20th.
Up to his career-high in the rankings is Zander Lombard, up three places to 173rd after a middle-of-the-pack 46th-place finish in Spain behind De Jager.
Thriston Lawrence, South Africa’s top-ranked player, was not so lucky with his share of 34th in Spain, as he slipped one spot to 96th.
South Africa’s top 20:
- Thriston Lawrence 96 (down 1)
- Christiaan Bezuidenhout 108 (down 1)
- Dean Burmester 135 (down 5)
- Garrick Higgo 168 (down 5)
- Zander Lombard 173 (up 3)
- Erik van Rooyen 193 (down 2)
- Hennie du Plessis 207 (down 5)
- MJ Daffue 216 (down 6)
- Ockie Strydom 236 (down 7)
- Louis de Jager 261 (up 58)
- Oliver Bekker 263 (down 14)
- Jaco Ahlers 272 (up 2)
- Casey Jarvis 303 (up 2)
- Deon Germishuys 319 (up 1)
- George Coetzee 326 (up 3)
- Dylan Frittelli 368 (down 7)
- JC Ritchie 376 (down 26)
- Jbe’ Kruger 392 (unchanged)
- Wilco Nienaber 396 (down 1)
- Jacques Kruyswijk 402 (up 1)